Moored at Home in Bumble Hole

Moored at Home in Bumble Hole
At Home - Moored at Bumble Hole

Tuesday 20 October 2009

The Main Man














My Jim .... my hero.... the man who put the Jim into Rosie & Jim ...... .
Here he is dressed in style for a gathering of narrowboats at Titford Pools.
Wild Rose is the blue one on the right .. ooops left.....
In the late 80's and early 90's I remember the water level fluctuated considerably and many times when we were out, the level was some 12 or more inches lower than it appears to be now. Anyway Wild Rose, having a very shallow draft, was often able to get to and from places that others with deeper drafts couldn't. Titford pools was one of these times, as Wild Rose and a couple of unladen working boats were the only ones able to get out easily. As its the highest point on the midlands canal system (well thats what I wuz told!) it did seem a bit daft to encourage loads of boats up through the locks when levels were already low !.















This I think is on our way back from Birmingham to Netherton. We often stayed near to Gas Street Basin for New Year, that was when Brindley Place was being developed and all the high cranes had Xmas decs and xmas trees all covered with coloured lights. Pity no pics as it was quite a delight high in the sky. I could put a roast dinner in the cooker when leaving Brum and be doing the gravy coming through the Netherton Tunnel, with yummy nosh all ready on mooring up at Bumble Hole. Blooming marvelous.

I have now worked out how to get my non digital pics on to the site, so more of these to come.



1 comment:

  1. Mar' mate Jim that is. That waist-jacket is a total trip, gotta get me one of them'. They should have threw salt in the canal to make em float higher ;-)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Livin and enjoyin every second of every day

Followers